The changing seasons always inspires me to refresh my surroundings. It’s crazy how much a calm environment helps me feel calm, too! Stuff all over our house makes me feel like I can’t think straight. Things can definitely get messy and cluttered, but I do my best to stay on top of it so our home is a place of relaxation and inspiration instead of stress. Definitely easier said than done now that I have a crawling baby who leaves a wake of destruction…
Below is my formula for decluttering and organizing everything! I know there are a million methods for this, but this is what works for me. It can be applied to anything- from one section of a drawer to an entire room. My one caveat is that I recommend this specific method for cleaning out your closet. If you feel overwhelmed and aren’t sure where to start, I highly recommend thinking about your biggest pain points. What annoys you every single day? Is getting ready to work out made annoying because it’s impossible to find the water bottle you actually like and want to use? Is the basket where you throw your keys overflowing and makes you stressed every time you go to leave? Is cooking a hassle because your pots and pans are all jumbled in a cabinet where they’re hard to get to? Start there! Cleaning out even one small drawer will feel amazing and probably give you the momentum to tackle another area next. At least, that’s how it always works for me!
My Formula for Decluttering + Organizing Everything
- Grab two trash bags. One for trash, one for donations.
- Empty everything out of the closet/drawer/etc. If you need to organize a whole room like the kitchen or bathroom, pull everything out and sort like items with like so they can find a home together.
- Get rid of items you don’t need, like (only keep your favorites!), use often, and any duplicates. If you’re not sure, ask yourself if this is something you want to have to handle and “decide” about again in the future.
- Clean the “container.” Wipe out the drawer, vacuum the closet, etc.
- Put what you’re keeping back. This is a great time to change up how you have it organized or where you store things to help your home function better! Most used and favorite items should always get prime real estate- front and center.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy these:
How to Shop Postpartum (or after your body has changed)