If we’ve met in person, it’s probably come up how I love to declutter and try to be a minimalist wherever I can (to varying degrees of success, haha). One area I’m big into this is my clothes.
After going through my body changing during pregnancy and then postpartum, I embraced a super minimal wardrobe of only things that I absolutely love, fit well, and feel great on my body as it is right now. I wrote a whole blog post and shared a YouTube video about the process (try it! It will change your life!), but after cutting down my closet to just those items that fit the criteria, I found myself lacking in a few crucial areas. One example is that the few dresses I kept during my closet purge fit and felt great, but weren’t breastfeeding friendly and therefore useless to me right now.
Enter my amazing sister Carla, a plus size fashion blogger and all around hype girl. I love her philosophy on body confidence and that the right clothes allow you to enjoy your life more fully because you can be present! The night before I left for a trip to Colorado, I was feeling pretty frustrated with online ordering and nothing fitting right (it’s so hard to guess your sizes when your body has changed). She called me and said “meet me at Target.” Together we filled the gaps in my wardrobe I’d realized I had.
I’m all about investing in quality pieces that will last for years, but when your body is changing, it is a perfect time to embrace some less expensive options that you won’t feel bad about only wearing for potentially one season. It’s also a great way to try new styles on your new body!
We had so much fun grabbing tons of options and sizes off the racks and having a “fashion show” in the dressing rooms. I ended up with pieces that made dressing for the summer much easier and more fun. Carla actually made a bunch of TikTok videos of the process and they have over 750K views now- so hilarious! Below are her best tips for dressing your body if it has changed recently.
Watch the videos all together below!
Postpartum Shopping Rules
- If you look at it for more than a second, pick it up to try it on.
- Grab a bunch of sizes to try and compare.
- If you’re not sure about something (how much you like it, the fit, the wedgie potential, etc.), just wear them around for a while and see how they feel!
- Don’t worry about the colors and styles you usually wear. Just grab it and try it on! It might be way better than you think. Or not, but either way it’s helpful information
- Make sure to get the lynchpin items, like any undergarments (hi strapless bra), you need to wear all of your clothes! No use having a piece of clothing you can’t wear because you don’t have the right underwear!
- Remember, this is a great time to embrace less expensive retailers.